Tuesday, April 14, 2009

debate - debate

It's been brought to my attention that some comments on this blog have recently been removed by their authors.

I was surprised initially, but now I'm suspecting it may have to do with my 'outing' this blog on facebook. What happened was, a friend asked for suggestions of Vancouver blogs for a project, and, honestly, I didn't really think through all the possible consequences of posting this blog on his wall. Consequences which apparently include making the lively and educational debate on the previous post's comments page read like an existentialist monologue (see garfield-garlfield), which, although deeply amusing in its own way, defeats the purpose.

I guess I do regret it a little, because maybe it means that future comments may not be as deep as I like them to be when I make provocative posts. But that's also why I wanted to keep this a public forum. Because as soon as I start privatizing, chances are I'll be excluding those who disagree fundamentally with my views, and I like having my mind changed once in a while.

So, what's done is done. I'm not going to privatize this blog. In fact, it's never been private; nothing has changed, it's always been accessible to everyone who stumbles upon it, so ... let normalcy resume.

8 comments:

Gautam said...

I don't agree with people deleting posts. To me, personally, it just shows cowardice by assuming no responsibility for what was said. If someone feels implicated in some wrongdoing then it should be thought of before hand. But that's just my opinion. I'd rather express it openly rather than the passive aggressive bullshit that some people indulge in.

pakiji said...

I think I (or at least Zach Wiener) win the evolution v creationism debate:

http://www.smbc-comics.com/index.php?db=comics&id=574#comic

PWND

m said...

lol... Well you DO win because the other two were debating the role of morality in the allocation of funding for scientific research.

pakiji said...

For the win, Bui, for the win.

But about the debate that actually did occur:
http://www.examiner.com/x-4112-Skepticism-Examiner~y2009m4d22-Just-shoot-me

m said...

Weird. Luckily it sounds like he was well received by most of the audience. Most people are okay with the idea that religious explanations are not an alternative to science but a complement. There will always be a few overly sensitive ones who take everything literally.

Rohbit said...

In that latter category, we have Fundies, Sensies and Fundie-sensies.

Chris said...

Hey Mai,

I deleted my comments, but nothing to do with your blog or you, or anything like that at all! I hope you didn't think that it was at all anything that you did! I just realized that what I said could be taken horribly out of context and I didn't want that kind of opinion to be misconstrued in the future some day. You just never know where this stuff on the internet turns up!

If I do issue publicly recorded statements, I would prefer to be very careful not to be misinterpreted. What I wrote was by no means carefully constructed and I didn't feel comfortable leaving it in the public domain!

But, really, I'm always open to debate! You know that!

-Chris

m said...

Hey Chris! Yes, I do understand what you mean now. Thanks for clarifying! Hope to see you and the family soon.